241 0

Knowledge and Opinions of Deceased Organ Donation Among Middle and High School Students in Korea

Title
Knowledge and Opinions of Deceased Organ Donation Among Middle and High School Students in Korea
Author
박영선
Keywords
COLLEGE-STUDENTS; ATTITUDES; TRANSPLANTATION; EDUCATION; CONSENT; CHINESE; FAMILY
Issue Date
2015-12
Publisher
ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC
Citation
TRANSPLANTATION PROCEEDINGS, v. 47, NO 10, Page. 2805-2809
Abstract
Background. Adolescents are an important target group for organ donation education. As yet, little is known about the attitude of Korean adolescents toward deceased organ donation, or the factors related to their decision. In this study, we explored the knowledge and opinions of deceased organ donation among middle and high school students in Korea. Methods. A self-reported survey was conducted among middle and high school students in Seoul, Korea. The questionnaire assessed knowledge, personal experience, and opinions of organ donation. Logistic regression analysis was performed to determine significant factors associated with willingness to become an organ donor. Results. Of the 323 students, 161 (49.8%) were willing to be a deceased donor, and the other 162 (50.2%) were unwilling or unsure. Neither level of knowledge nor experience of recent public information on organ donation affected students' decisions. Instead, a cohesive family environment and family discussion were strong predictors of the willingness of Korean middle and high school students to be an organ donor. Conclusions. A donation education program that promotes family communication and discussion about organ donation could increase willingness to be an organ donor among Korean adolescents.
URI
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0041134515009240?via%3Dihubhttp://hdl.handle.net/20.500.11754/29503
ISSN
0041-1345; 1873-2623
DOI
10.1016/j.transproceed.2015.09.057
Appears in Collections:
COLLEGE OF NATURAL SCIENCES[S](자연과학대학) > MATHEMATICS(수학과) > Articles
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML


qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

BROWSE