Depth estimate of the DPRK’s 2006-10-09, 2009-05-25 and 2013-02-12 underground nuclear tests using local and teleseismic arrays
- Depth estimate of the DPRK’s 2006-10-09, 2009-05-25 and 2013-02-12 underground nuclear tests using local and teleseismic arrays
- CTBT; Depth phase; Spectral ; Rg-wave; CLVD; Mt. Mantap
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- JOURNAL OF ASIAN EARTH SCIENCES, v. 163, Page. 249-263
- The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK aka North Korea) conducted underground nuclear explosions on October 9, 2006 (M 4.3), May 25, 2009 (M 4.7) and February 12, 2013 (M 5.1). We expanded standard depth calculation methods to encompass full depth utilizing spectral s of spectra using body waves and Rayleigh waves from local and teleseismic arrays. The depths of burial were calculated from the fundamental-mode Rayleigh wave spectra as well as the average spectra of depth phase (pP + P/sP + P, pPn + Pn/sPn + Pn)
considering take-oﬀ angles based on the ﬂat Earth model. The average depths of the 2006, 2009 and 2013
nuclear tests were thus estimated at 2.12 km, 2.06 km and 2.05 km, respectively. It should be noted that those depths are signiﬁcantly greater than expected from the standard experiment practice. The possibility of the over- buried nuclear tests would aﬀect the interpretation of MS-mb discriminants as well as the estimation of the yield.
- Appears in Collections:
- COLLEGE OF SCIENCE AND CONVERGENCE TECHNOLOGY[E](과학기술융합대학) > APPLIED PHYSICS(응용물리학과) > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)