Relationship between Psychological Correlates and Empathy in Medical Students: A Cross-Sectional Study
- Relationship between Psychological Correlates and Empathy in Medical Students: A Cross-Sectional Study
- Medical student; Empathy; Self-esteem; Burnout; Conscientiousness
- Issue Date
- KOREAN NEUROPSYCHIATRIC ASSOC
- PSYCHIATRY INVESTIGATION, v. 16, no. 10, Page. 766-772
- Objective Empathy is important in the education of medical students. Many psychosocial variables are related to empathy. The aim of the study was to investigate the relationship between empathy and psychosocial factors such as burnout, personality, self-esteem, and resilience.
Methods The participants completed a set of self-reporting questionnaires, including questions related to socio-demographic characteristics, the Korean edition of the Jefferson Scale of Empathy, student version (JSE-S-K), Maslach Burnout Inventory General Survey (MBI-GS), NEO Five-Factor Inventory (NEO-FFI), Rosenberg Self-esteem Scale (R-SES), and Connor-Davidson Resilience Scale (CD-RISC). Partial correlation and regression analyses were performed.
Results In male students, there were positive correlations between JSE-S-K and R-SES (r=0.229, p=0.002); conscientiousness of the NEO-FFI (r=0.153, p=0.037) and negative correlations, specifically between JSE-S-K and depersonalization of MBI (r=-0.206, p=0.005). In female students, there was positive correlations between JSE-S-K and personal accomplishment of MBI (r=0.384,p=0.004). In the multiple regression model, the JSE-S-K was affected by conscientiousness of the NEO-FFI (adjusted R-2=0.245, beta=0.201, p=0.001); depersonalization, personal accomplishment of the MBI-GS (beta=-0.188, p=0.001, beta=0.143, p=0.017); R-SES (beta=0.176, p=0.004); sex (beta=0.117,p=0.029).
Conclusion The present findings suggested that conscientiousness, depersonalization, personal accomplishment, self-esteem and sex have an influence on empathy. Therefore, these must be considered in medical education and can be helpful to nurture more empathetic doctors.
- 1738-3684; 1976-3026
- Appears in Collections:
- COLLEGE OF MEDICINE[S](의과대학) > MEDICINE(의학과) > Articles
- Files in This Item:
- Relationship between Psychological Correlates and Empathy in Medical Students A Cross-Sectional Study.pdfDownload
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)