Ultrasound-guided greater occipital nerve block with botulinum toxin for patients with chronic headache in the occital area: a randomized controlled trial
- Ultrasound-guided greater occipital nerve block with botulinum toxin for patients with chronic headache in the occital area: a randomized controlled trial
- Botox; Greater occipital nerve block; Headache; Likert scale; Long term follow up; Ultrasound; Visual analogue scale
- Issue Date
- Korean Society of Anesthesiologists
- Korean Journal of Anesthesiology, v. 72, no. 5, Page. 479-485
- Background: Ultrasound-guided greater occipital nerve (GON) block has been frequently used to treat various types of headaches, and botulinum toxin has recently begun to be used in patients with headache. Our study presents the long-term effect of botulinum toxin on GON block using ultrasound in patients with chronic headache in occipital area.
Methods: Patients with occipital headache were divided into two groups (bupivacaine: BUP group [n = 27], botulinum toxin: BTX group En = 27]), and ultrasound-guided GON block was performed at the C2 level. GON was detected with ultrasound and distance from GON to midline, from the skin surface to GON, and size of GON were measured in both groups. Visual analogue scale (VAS) scores and Likert scale were assessed at pretreatment and at 1, 4, 8, and 24 weeks after treatment in both groups.
Results: The distance from GON to midline was 18.9 +/- 4.4 mm (right) and 17.3 +/- 3.8 mm (left). The depth from the skin was 12.9 +/- 1.5 mm (right) and 13.4 +/- 1.6 mm (left). GON size was 3.1 mm on both sides. The VAS score and patient satisfaction score (Likert scale) in 4, 8, and 24 weeks after injection were superior for the BTX than the BUP group.
Conclusions: Ultrasound-guided GON block using BTX is effective in reducing short-term and long-term pain in patients with chronic headache in the occipital area.
- 2005-6419; 2005-7563
- Appears in Collections:
- COLLEGE OF MEDICINE[S](의과대학) > MEDICINE(의학과) > Articles
- Files in This Item:
- Ultrasound-guided greater occipital nerve block with botulinum toxin for patients with chronic headache in the occipital area a randomized controll...Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)