On Polarity Licensing in the -ul swu iss Construction
- On Polarity Licensing in the -ul swu iss Construction
- modal; epistemic modal; root modal; negative polarity item; clause mate condition; restructuring; cross-clausal scrambling; complex DP
- Issue Date
- 생성문법연구, v. 27, No. 3, Page. 457-483
- Polarity licensing has been a central topic for the syntactic structure of the -ul swu iss modal construction in Korean since Choe (1988) first raised the issue.
To deal with this issue, various theories have been proposed in the literature (Choe 1988, Ha 2005, 2007, Chung 2006, 2007, Kim 2014, 2015, Tchoe 2015, among others). This article evaluates the theoretical and empirical mileage those theories cover, specially examining how they account for the apparent violation of the clause mate condition in polarity licensing and the semantic restrictions that the modal construction displays. It will be shown that no theories thus far advanced are able to perfectly accomodate the polarity licensing in the modal construction, soliciting further research for a more complete theory.
- Appears in Collections:
- COLLEGE OF LANGUAGES & CULTURES[E](국제문화대학) > ENGLISH LANGUAGE & CULTURE(영미언어·문화학과) > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)