Inhibition effect of Gynura procumbens extract on UV-B-induced matrix-metalloproteinase expression in human dermal fibroblasts
- Inhibition effect of Gynura procumbens extract on UV-B-induced matrix-metalloproteinase expression in human dermal fibroblasts
- Gynura procumbens; UV-B irradiation; Matrix-metalloproteinase; Anti-photoaging
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD, ELSEVIER HOUSE, BROOKVALE PLAZA, EAST PARK SHANNON, CO, CLARE, 00000, IRELAND
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology, Vol.137 No.1 , 427-433
- Ethnopharmacological relevance: Gynura procumbens Merr. (Asteraceae) has been used as a traditional remedy for various skin diseases in certain areas of Southeast Asia.Aim of the study: In order to evaluate the protective activity of Gynura procumbens extract on skin photoaging and elucidate its mode of action.Materials and methods: Matrix-metalloproteinase (MMP)-1 and -9 expressions were induced by UV-B irradiation in human primary dermal fibroblasts. MMP-1 expression level was measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and Western blot analysis. Zymography was employed for evaluating the enzymatic activity of MMP-9. Anti-inflammatory activity and anti-oxidative capacity of the extract were evaluated by ELISA and dichlorodihydrofluorescein diacetate (DCF-DA) assay.Results: The ethanolic extract of Gynura procumbens inhibited MMP-1 expression up to 70% compare to negative control group. The enzymatic activity of MMP-9 was inhibited around 73% by the treatment of 20 mu g/mL of the extract. The extract markedly reduced the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS). Gynura procumbens extract showed an inhibitory effect on releasing pro-inflammatory cytokines (IL-6 and IL-8) in human HaCat keratinocyte.Conclusion: The ethanolic extract of Gynura procumbens inhibited MMP-1 and MMP-9 expressions induced by UV-B irradiation via inhibition of pro-inflammatory cytokine mediator release and ROS production. (C) 2011 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
- 0378-8741; 1872-7573
- Appears in Collections:
- GRADUATE SCHOOL[S](대학원) > BIONANOTECHNOLOGY(바이오나노학과) > Articles
GRADUATE SCHOOL[S](대학원) > BIONANOTECHNOLOGY(바이오나노학과) > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)