Altered Quality of Life and Psychological Health (SCL-90-R) in Patients With Chronic Rhinosinusitis With Nasal Polyps
- Altered Quality of Life and Psychological Health (SCL-90-R) in Patients With Chronic Rhinosinusitis With Nasal Polyps
- nasal obstruction; nasal polyposis; olfaction; otolaryngology; rhinology; sinusitis
- Issue Date
- Annals Publishing Co.
- Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology, Page. 663-670
- Objectives: To investigate the impact of olfactory dysfunction on quality of life (QOL) and psychological status in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps (CRSwNP).
Methods: A retrospective observational study was conducted from January 2011 to May 2012 with 130 patients with septal deviation (SD) (n = 59) and CRSwNP (n = 71). All patients underwent computed tomography (CT), allergy tests, and sniffin' stick olfactory test. Anosmia was defined by Threshold-Discrimination-Identification (TDI) scores less than 16. QOL and psychological symptoms were assessed with the Sinonasal Outcome Test-20 (SNOT-20) and Symptom Checklist-90-Revised (SCL-90-R).
Results: Odor discrimination and identification scores were significantly lower in CRSwNP than in SD (P = .008 and P = .005, respectively). In CRSwNP, identification score decreased with higher CT score (r = -0.29, P = .014). CRSwNP with anosmia showed a decreased QOL (P = .044), and SNOT-20 negatively correlated with TDI in severe CRSwNP (CT score 15, r = -0.714, P = .001). Anosmia patients had higher anxiety and phobia scores of SCL-90-R in both SD and CRSwNP. However, depression score increased only in CRSwNP with anosmia (P = .025).
Conclusion: Olfactory dysfunction may have significant effects on QOL and psychological health. CRSwNP with anosmia is a distinct phenotype having mixed type of olfactory loss that might have a detrimental effect on depression.
- 0003-4894; 1943-572X
- Appears in Collections:
- GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING[S](의생명공학전문대학원) > ETC
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)