Does osteoporosis have a negative effect on the functional outcome of an osteoporotic distal radial fracture treated with a volar locking plate?
- Does osteoporosis have a negative effect on the functional outcome of an osteoporotic distal radial fracture treated with a volar locking plate?
- distal radial fracture; OSTEOSYNTHESIS; functional outcome; volar locking plate
- Issue Date
- BRITISH EDITORIAL SOC BONE JOINT SURGERY
- BONE & JOINT JOURNAL, v. 97B, NO 2, Page. 229-234
- We performed a retrospective study to determine the effect of osteoporosis on the functional outcome of osteoporotic distal radial fractures treated with a volar locking plate. Between 2009 and 2012 a total of 90 postmenopausal women with an unstable fracture of the distal radius treated with a volar locking plate were studied. Changes in the radiological parameters of 51 patients with osteoporosis (group 1, mean age 66.9, mean T-score -3.16 (SD 0.56)) were not significantly different from those in 39 patients without osteoporosis (group 2, mean age 61.1, mean T-score -1.72 (SD 0.57)). The mean Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand (DASH) score at final follow-up was 11.5 (SD 12.2) in group 1 and 10.5 (SD 13.25) in group 2. The mean modified Mayo wrist score at final follow-up was 79.0 (SD 14.04) in group 1 and 82.6 (SD 13.1) in group 2. However, this difference was not statistically significant (p = 0.35 for DASH score, p = 0.2 for modified Mayo wrist score). Univariable and multivariable logistic regression analysis showed that only the step-off of the radiocarpal joint was related to both a poor DASH and modified Mayo wrist score. Pearson's correlation coefficient showed a weak negative relationship only between the T-score and the change in volar tilt (intraclass coefficient -0.26, p = 0.02).
We found that osteoporosis does not have a negative effect on the functional outcome and additional analysis did not show a correlation between T-score and outcome.
- 2049-4394; 2049-4408
- Appears in Collections:
- COLLEGE OF MEDICINE[S](의과대학) > MEDICINE(의학과) > Articles
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)