23 0

Lateral locked plating for distal femur fractures by low-energy trauma: what makes a difference in healing?

Title
Lateral locked plating for distal femur fractures by low-energy trauma: what makes a difference in healing?
Author
황규태
Keywords
Distal femur fracture; Low-energy trauma; Lateral locked plating
Issue Date
2018-12
Publisher
SPRINGER
Citation
INTERNATIONAL ORTHOPAEDICS, v. 42, no. 12, page. 2907-2914
Abstract
Purpose The objective of this study is to investigate healing outcome of lateral locked plating for distal femoral fractures caused by low-energy trauma. In addition, we sought to determine predictable factors associated with fracture healing time.Methods Seventy-three patients (73 fractures) with distal femur fractures (AO/OTA type 33) caused by low-energy trauma were recruited. The mean age of patients was 69.8years (range, 43-87years). All fractures were stabilized by less invasive osteosynthesis with anatomical periarticular locking system. Patients were followed up for mean 17.3 months (range, 6-44 months).Results Of the 73 fractures, 52 (71.2%) fractures showed bony union within 6 months after the index surgery while the remaining 21 (28.8%) fractures showed delayed union or received revision surgery prior to complete healing. Although overall healing rate from the initial surgery was 93.2% (68/73), which seems to be satisfactory, the rate of surgical complications was 11.0% (8/73). Of all 73 fractures, seven received further surgery including three re-osteosynthesis. On multivariable analysis, plate-screw density at the fracture site was an independent predictable factor associated with the problematic healing.Conclusions Our findings suggest that complications related to increased healing time and fixation construct are not infrequent and ongoing problems in managing low-energy distal femur fractures. Specifically, plate-screw density at the fracture site has a significant influence on healing time in these fractures.
URI
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00264-018-3881-3http://repository.hanyang.ac.kr/handle/20.500.11754/121184
ISSN
0341-2695; 1432-5195
DOI
10.1007/s00264-018-3881-3
Appears in Collections:
COLLEGE OF MEDICINE[S](의과대학) > MEDICINE(의학과) > Articles
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Export
RIS (EndNote)
XLS (Excel)
XML


qrcode

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

BROWSE