Are there differences among operators infalse-negative rates of endosonography with needle aspiration for mediastinal nodal staging of non-small cell lung cancer?
- Are there differences among operators infalse-negative rates of endosonography with needle aspiration for mediastinal nodal staging of non-small cell lung cancer?
- Endosonography with needle aspiration (EBUS/EUS-NA); Non-small cell lung cancer; False negative rate; Operator factor
- Issue Date
- BMC PULMONARY MEDICINE, Page. 1-10
Endosonography with needle aspiration (EBUS/EUS-NA) is recommended as the first choice for mediastinal nodal assessment in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). It is important to maintain adequate negative predictive value of the procedure to avoid unnecessary additional surgical staging, but there are few studies on the influence of operator-related factors including competency on false negative results. This study aims to compare the false negative rate of individual operators and whether it changes according to accumulation of experience.
This is a retrospective study of NSCLC patients who were N0/N1 by EBUS/EUS-NA and confirmed by pathologic staging upon mediastinal lymph node dissection (n = 705). Patients were divided into a false negative group (finally confirmed as pN2/N3) and a true negative group (pN0/N1). False negative rates of six operators and whether these changed according to accumulated experience were analyzed.
There were 111 (15.7%) false negative cases. False negative rates among six operators ranged from 8.3 to 21.4%; however, there were no statistical differences before and after adjustment for patient characteristics and procedure-related factors (P = 0.346 and P = 0.494, respectively). In addition, false negative rates did not change as each operator accumulated experience (P for trend = 0.632).
Our data suggest that there would be no difference in false negative rates regardless of which operator performs the procedure assuming that the operators have completed a certain period of observation and have performed procedures under the guidance of an expert.
- Appears in Collections:
- COLLEGE OF MEDICINE[S](의과대학) > MEDICINE(의학과) > Articles
- Files in This Item:
- Are there differences among operators infalse-negative rates of endosonography with needle aspiration for mediastinal nodal staging of non-small ce...Download
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)